Every year, I try to do something inspired and kitchen witchy for this most decidedly food-friendly holiday.
Perhaps you’ve noticed the concept of naturally dyed Easter eggs floating around Pinterest the last few years.
I thought this made for a perfect Ostara activity.
I tried tumeric, spinach and cabbage.
Spinach was a dud. I boiled and boiled, but the dye wasn’t strong enough.
Tumeric worked okay, but it stained everything! I can see why they use this in India to dye cloth!
But the humble cabbage, at 79 cents, proved to be both the cheapest and most effective option.
The idea is pretty basic. Start with a base for extraction. In this case, we have our head of red cabbage.
Shred it and place it in a pot with a 1 to 1 ratio of water. I did 4 cups shredded cabbage with 4 cups of water. Boil until the water takes on a deep purple hue.
Meanwhile, make your hard boiled eggs. Some recipes call for boiling the eggs with the dye, but I like my eggs cooked a certain way, so I did them separately. (Place eggs in pot with cold water, bring to boil, turn off heat, let them sit for 10 minutes in a covered pot, then rinse with cold water—perfect every time!)
Once your dye is done, allow it to cool and add 1 tablespoon white vinegar per cup of liquid dye.
Then submerge the eggs in the dye for 24-28 hours in the refrigerator.
But before you do that, there are some creative options that I didn’t try. The internet rumor is that if you write or draw on the eggs with crayon, it won’t dye there. You can imagine all the possibilities for spell work there!
I wanted to keep my eggs as natural as possible, so I skipped this, but I might try using beeswax in the future for a similar effect.
I really loved the way the dye turned out. It felt so earthy and wholesome. I see myself using this for a lot of things, maybe even cloth.
And there you have it! Charming, naturally dyed eggs for your Ostara ritual. Use them on the altar as an offering, or for your Ostara meal as a beautiful table decoration.
With eggs on sale at my market for 28 cents a dozen, my total cost for this project was a mere $1.08.